MASHED POTATO TOPPING:
- 4 medium-large potatos (washed and cubed)
- 1 Tb Butter or Margarine (Melted)
- 1/3 Cup Low fat milk
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (diced)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 2 Celery stick (peeled and diced)
- 2 Parsnips (peeled and diced)
- 500g low fat Beef Mince
- ½ Cup Frozen Green Peas
- 2 Cups low salt Beef Stock
- 2 TB low salt Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 Tb salt reduced Worcestershire sauce
|For a vegetarian version, make the following substitutions:|
|Milk||Soy or Almond Milk|
|Beef Mince||2x 400g tin Brown Lentils (drained and rinsed)|
Vegetable based stock
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add cubed potato. Cook for 10-15 minutes until soft but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large frypan. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes until softened.
3. Add remaining vegetables and cook covered for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Add beef mince and combine thoroughly breaking up any chunks of meat. Once meat is lightly browned, add half of the stock, spices, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add peas and additional stock and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
6. While this is cooking, mash potato with butter and milk until it is soft and well combined.
7. Transfer meat mixture to a deep (insert size) baking dish. Remove bay leaf.
8. Cover with mashed potato mixture and drizzle a small amount of melted butter/margarine over the top.
9. Bake in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.