Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 400g skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Indian curry powder
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- To serve with: 2 cups brown rice
- Ensure all the fat is removed from the chicken. Heat enough water to poach the chicken.
- Add the chicken and spring onion and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat until ready to use.
- Heat the oil and lightly fry the onion and carrot pieces.
- Add curry powder and stir.
- Add the drained chickpeas and stir to coat with the curry mixture.
- Pour in the 2 cups of water, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. You may need more water, depending on the saucepan you use.
- Reheat the poaching stock and simmer the chicken slices to cook through: 3-5 mins. Do this in batches, depending on your pan size.
- In another saucepan bring ½ cup of chicken poaching liquid to the boil.
- Tip in the spinach and stir to allow it to wilt/break down. Do not over cook, or you will lose the colour and nutritional value.
- Drain well and keep warm.
- To serve, place equal amounts of chickpeas into the centre of four deep plates.
- Top with spinach then equal amounts of chicken slices.
- Spoon over some of the chicken poaching liquid and serve immediately with vegetables.