What is AAC?
- AAC is any way of supporting communication.
- Any way of ‘making language visual’ by using pictures, photos, objects, signs, etc
- Can range from using gestures & body movements to using ‘high tech’ devices (“talking machines”).
- Augmentative (Aided) Communication is using pictures, sign, etc with speech
- Alternative Communication is using pictures, sign, etc instead of speech
Categories of AAC:
- Body Movements
- Facial Expression
- Eye Contact
- Natural Gesture
- Key Word Signing
- Objects/Tangible Eg, juice packet for ‘drink’
- Photographs Eg, photo of bowl for ‘lunch’
- Pictographs Eg, PCS
- Written Word
Our Speech Pathologists study, diagnose and treat communication disorders, including difficulties with speaking, listening, understanding language, reading, writing, social skills, stuttering and using voice. Click now to book a free consultation.